Saturday, June 25, 2011

Car on Rotisserie

It's been awhile since I've updated the blog. I've been posting lots of videos to Youtube since it seems to be a quicker and more descriptive vehicle for showing detail about the restoration. That said, I took a week off work to push the project ahead and was able to bodywork the car from the back of the doors forward. I got the front bumber brackets mounted, I fit the rear decklid, gapped the doors, finished tubbing out the rear wheel wells, finished building my rotisserie and straightend out my torsion bar access holes.

This week I got the car ready to put onto the rotisserie. I did the whole operation by myself with an engine hoist. I was nervous about it, but it could not have gone smoother. I wrapped a chain around the two inspection hole for the steering boxes, through a square tube and put a cross brace at the back of the doors under the convertible stiffner panel that attaches around the back of the striker. The car lifted like a dream and the rotisserie fit like a glove. All the measurements I made for the rotisserie were done with the body on, so they weren't perfect by any means. I was actually surprised when I was only off about 3/8" from front to back. The car swings really heavy at the bottom of the swing and the car clears the fixture by about 1"!!! I couldn't be happier with it.

I'm hoping to get the front wheel wells coated this weekend, but I'm not sure I can get everything prepped and coated... We'll see.

Car on the hoist rolling across the garage

Car on the rotisserie fully rotated

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about the project.