Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
My wife's grandfather lent me his cherry picker and two vehicle dollies. I bought two other dollies ($50 on sale at HF) so I have all four wheels with casters under them. I had 5 guys over on Sunday and we lifted the body off my cart and put it onto the rebuilt chassis. Hopefully with the cherry picker, I can lift the body from the front enough to get rocker pieces and parts in, set it back down for a fit and tack, then lift back up for finish welding.
I spent this evening grinding the edges of the new floor pans back so only a 1/4" lip sticks out. The pans had anywhere from 1/4" to over 3/4" of metal sticking out. The driver's side is ready to go now.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
All the welding is done and I have 1/2 of it ground down
welding and grinding complete
I also had a stiffener panel made this week to replace one that I totally hacked up. It cost me $30 to have it fabbed up. Much better than buying one new. I don't have the fancy indentions in this one, but I don't think they are really that useful anyway.
Monday, July 21, 2008
I also received my engine bay today. I'll be blasting that soon and giving it a coat of sealer. I probably won't install it until I get the rocker sections taken care of.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
I blasted the rest of the engine cover this weekend. It took about 2 hours to blast and about 100 lbs of media. I wound up reusing some of the media toward the end and it worked o.k. I have been told that slag only works once. It seemed to be just fine the second time around. I figured out that when the pressure drops at the pot, the blasting efficiency goes south pretty quickly. I spent quite a bit of time waiting for my 5hp 60gal blackmax to "catch up."
Bottom of hood blasted
Hood in DP90
Monday, July 7, 2008
Thursday, July 3, 2008
A little sandblasting and it should clean up nicely.
I butchered up someone's photo of a 74 vert so I could consider options for color and finish. I am smoothing the front grills and stripping the trim from the lower door area. I am also planning on kicking the plastic on the top of the doors so they will look more vintage. The dash pad may or may not stay, but I'll be smoothing out all the holes in the face. I am not replacing the lower dash pad.
The green is supposed to be from a 50's era ghia (see second photo). I'll have to look up the color, but I have seen a few pics online of 50's cars that have this color.
Interior will be white or ivory with trim accents to match the paint. I am planning on a light colored top. I love Foose's use of two tone on his cars, so there might be ivory paint on the interior instead of carrying the green all the way through. I think that might be a nice touch.
I'll have other sketches later on down the line.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
About 1/2 way through (end of Saturday)
I forgot to take a pic when I finished blasting, so here is the interior in DP90 sealer
Another shot of the area in sealer. I see a spot I missed.
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Left exchanger in high temp primer
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Small bits of progress, but I feel this time will pay huge dividends when I sandblast and start to fix holes on the bottom side of the car.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
In the mean time, I am preping the car a bit and building a rotisserie. I made up the front and back skewers this evening out of some angle iron and the tubes out of a trashed front beam. I am expecting some 2-1/2" square tubing to come my way early next week. I will make the bottom of the rotisserie when that arrives. After we get the rockers fit up, I am going to mount the car to the rotisserie and bring it back home.
I also received a lesson in how to 'tune in' my sandblaster. I gave up on it last year when it took about 4 hours to blast an area the size of a butter tub. I found out one of the valves needs to run at 50% instead of 100%. The full open position causes too much media to clog the feed tube and then everything surges instead of running smoothly. After we get the rockers in, I plan on a full-on sandblasting.
I'll post pics of the rotisserie when I get it built.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
The inner rear wheel housing comes out of the box with 2 seams that need to be welded up. I was looking for something a little les s thought provoking to work on, so I stitched it up.
This is the whole heater channel and fender well to floor dog leg assembly clamped into place and fitted up. I still have a bit of work to do to get the convertible stiffener buttoned up inside the rocker skin, so these pieces will go on and off another half dozen times before I start welding them up permanently.
Don't know if you can see the detail or not, but the red arrow is pointing toward the skinny piece that often gets bent when someone sits on the apron right in front of the engine cover. It already has a bend in it and if it gets messed up it prevents the top from closing properly.
Sunday, February 3, 2008
This is a pic from inside the front driver's side wheel opening. It is of the patch and the fender well after I ground everything down to fit.
From the wheel opening again after welding and grinding
From inside the passenger compartment after grinding and welding.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Thursday, January 31, 2008
This is the Cassis with seam sealer prior to POR-15.This is the chassis after paint. I painted the rear as well, but don't have the pics.