Thursday, October 21, 2010

Doors and rear end

I can almost smell the paint! I am trying to figure out what type of paint to use. I already know I am applying PPG DP-90 to the whole car first. Then I am spraying PPG's omni line polyester surfacer so I have a good base to sand on. After that, I've been told I need a 2K primer sealer. I'm not sure about this one, I think Matrix has a good 2K that is cheaper and just as good as PPG. Then I'll have my top coat. I don't know yet whether I need a single stage urethane or a basecoat/clearcoat urethane. I could also do acrylic enamel, but I'm not sure if that is a basecoat/clearcoat. I want to colorsand and buff, so I need the right paint.

I spent yesterday and the day before picking up as many "housekeeping" items as I could on the ghia. I fitted the metal around the Left tail light, I welded up a couple small rust holes, made a couple small patches for rust that was revealed after stripping the paint and I modified the door tops so I can paint them rather than reinstall the black plastic covers that VW put on during the 70's. The top of the door has a bump where the lock button was at one time. In the 70's the lock release was added to the inside handle that opens the door. A few cuts, a minute or two with the hammer, a few cracks with the welder and the door top was smooooooth.

I also stripped the glass, regulators and striker out of the doors. I ground off all the paint on the bottoms of the doors thinking that I would find rust... Thankfully, the first place on the car that was pretty much rust free.


I have a ton of stuff on the agenda today: paint and weld in the front bumper mounts, clean and coat the L hinge pillar, grind, grind, grind, coat the inner doors, cut off the old rear apron (still haven't received my new one from Mike @ HOG.



lock dimple cut, hammered and welded flat (sorry no "after" pic)

Small rust hole welded up

Overall pic of the car. It's been awhile, so I thought I'd show the whole thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about the project.