Monday, October 4, 2010

Nascar Race Allows Chrome to Shine

I was out at the race track this past weekend watching the Nationwide and Sprint Cup races, so I wasn't able to make any progress on the body of the car. I did, however, manage to take a few pieces of the car to the track that needed some serious attention. I grabbed all the chrome headlight rights and trim along with all my hubcaps. I have chrome from two cars, so I figured I'd polish all if it up and select the best pieces to put back onto my car when the time comes.

It took me about 3 hours (interrupted by watching the race and drinking a few cool ones) to polish up all the chrome. I used 000 (three ought) steel wool to do all the dirty work. I even brought along a few hammers and repaired some dings. To make repairs, I set my dinging spoon upside down on my knee, covered it with a rag (so it wouldn't leave scratches in the chrome) and hammered out dings from the back side.


Not the greatest picture in the world, but you can see an unpolished hubcap on the left (it was too rusted to bother polishing) and compare it to all the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about the project.