Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hole at mudsill and clearing out fresh air duct

I decided to start tackling the fresh air ducts today. I started some of the prep work a few years back, but never fully cut out all the bits and pieces. After about two hours of cutting and grinding, my arms were killing me. Holding a 7" grinder into a wheel well is more exhausting than I would have guessed. I was able to get about 90% of the metal cut out. I'll get the rest of it later this week.

After my arms were dead, I decided to work on something topside, so I repaired a couple holes around the gas filler. They were in the typical spot above the mud sills. The paint was bubbled up there, so I figured someone had filled them up with bondo... I figured correctly.

I also got to test out my new autodarkening helmet today. $40 on ebay. The glass is MUCH clearer than the one I bought 6 years ago (now broken). My sheetmetal welding abilities are much greater with a helmet like this rather than a fixed lens.
Fresh air duct partially removed from a few years ago
90% completed
Bubbles in the paint... You know what that means!
Repair area. The patch is on the right.
Area welded up ready for grinding
Area ground down and finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about the project.