I continued work on the trunk lip tonight. I did two sections, one about 4" long and the other about 7" long. Not too much trouble with this one. I ground out the bad metal and then I cut strips about 1" tall and as wide as the areas I ground out. I welded everything up pretty quickly (I surprised myself with how quickly it went.) I pulled out the massive 7" grinder to do the rough finishing. Man that thing really cuts down the time required to finish compared to my favorite 4" grinder.
This piece of the project is something I have been afraid of since I started the restoration. I really didn't have any troubles and it was much easier than I thought it would be. I just have two smaller sections to do on the passenger side, then it's back to patching holes.